I have not forgotten that August is watermelon month. Today’s watermelon recipe is one that you can serve at your next cocktail party, eat as a snack or add to the sides for your next summer barbecue.
Shrimp and Watermelon Skewer Appetizers are pretty quick and easy to make. I love that you get a mouth full of flavors in one bite with this little cocktail. You get fruity, tangy and savory all in one bite, which makes a unique and refreshing combination. It’s particularly wonderful in the summer time while being elegant, pretty, and tasty all in one, which makes Shrimp and Watermelon Skewer Appetizers a versatile dish for any occasion. The presentation is great for butler served appetizers as well.
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
8 cubes of watermelon, peeled and seeded
8 large shrimp, cleaned and deveined
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
- In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to boil and then reduce heat and simmer until it develops into a syrup consistency and coats the back of a spoon (about 5 minutes). Remove the balsamic from heat and set aside.
- In a skillet heat the oil add garlic and soften.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper generously on both sides.
- Add shrimp to heated oil and garlic.
- Sauté until shrimp turns pink on both sides.
- Remove the shrimp from the oil and allow to drain as well as cool to handle.
- To assemble, alternate shrimp and watermelon cubes 8 skewers or shrimp.
- Drizzle the drizzle with balsamic vinegar glaze on your serving plate and then arrange your shrimp and watermelon skewers on the plate.
- Serve immediately.