I mentioned a few posts back in my Brownie Pudding dessert post for Father’s Day that in my opinion most Dad’s like hearty home style meals. Even more, they love BBQ. I found a way to combine these tastes into a smoky pot roast. This recipe is perfect for Dad’s who like a little kick in their food, such as with spicy chili. This Father’s Day make Dad Smokey Chipotle Pot Roast. Be warned that this recipe is HOT!
2 lbs. Beef Shoulder Roast, Arm Chuck Roast Boneless or Blade Chuck Roast Boneless
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder (use more if you like spicy)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves chopped
6 tomatoes chopped
6 Serrano Chilies split in half
- Press chili powder evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast. Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the roast.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place pot roast in pot; brown evenly. Remove roast and pour off drippings.
- In the same pot heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and add garlic to soften.
- Return the meat to the pot.
- Add tomatoes and chilies. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer pot to the oven and cook for 3 to 4 hours until fork tender.
- Carve roast into thin slices and serve.
- Tip: Serve with cornbread to offset the spicy flavors.