Valentine’s Day is upon us next week and next week is also Random Acts of Kindness Week which culminates in Random Acts of Kindness Day on February 17th. The entire week will be full of love, caring, and sweet benevolent gestures from one individual to another. We can hope that such inspiration allows us as human beings to be inspired throughout the year to be kindly to one another and not simply during designated dates.
With days of love and caring upon us, why not some recipes to help us out? Chocolate Waffles served at breakfast randomly to a dear one will be loved. Waffles for breakfast are a treat, but when they are chocolate waffles they become extra special because everyone knows that you were thoughtful and added sweet chocolate to make your waffles a tiny bit more special. This is a simple recipe for Chocolate Waffles served with Whipped Cream.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 large eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 ozs. bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add egg yolks, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Blend with a fork, then gradually incorporate dry ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat egg whites in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Working in 2 batches, fold egg whites into batter just until combined. Fold in chocolate.
- Heat a waffle iron until very hot; lightly coat with nonstick spray.
- Working in batches, cook waffles until cooked through.
- Serve waffles with whipped cream.