Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and won’t it be wonderful to make your loved ones something sweet and pink to eat. I’ve got Pink Velvet Cupcakes, and Cream Cheese Frosting kissed by strawberries is perfection on top. These cupcakes are velvety smooth and easy to make in one bowl.
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, cold, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
6-8 drops pink food coloring
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1⁄4 cup butter, softened
3 -3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1⁄2 cup mashed drained fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Add the butter and cut it in using two knives or the paddle attachment on your mixer, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs and the butter pieces are no larger than pea sized.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add the vanilla and buttermilk, and stir until combined. Add the pink food coloring and stir until blended in.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan, filling the cups 1/2 - 2/3 full.
- Bake 15 - 18 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- To make the frosting blend together the cream cheese and butter using an electric mixer on low speed until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add 3 cups powdered sugar, gradually, and the mashed strawberries; blend frosting again on low speed until the sugar is incorporated, 1 minute.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and blend frosting until fluffy, 30-45 seconds more, adding up to 1/2 cup more sugar to make desired spreading consistency.
- Pipe the frosting onto cooled cupcakes and decorate as desired.