Just because the holidays are over doesn’t mean that winter is over. The snow is coming down in some parts of the world and some of us are snowed in with not much to do now that gift wrapping season is over.
Take some time to give yourself some TLC. Cuddle up by the fireplace and enjoy a cup of hot cocoa. If the cold outside has left you with no way to get out and do anything, this is the best opportunity to give yourself some time. Be mindful of this time and be mindful of what you do with it. If you would like to practice some mindfulness in the kitchen, then simplicity will keep you relaxed. With the snow coming down, invite a snowman inside. Build your own marshmallow snowman and prepare some lovely Peppermint Hot Chocolate to make a gift for yourself.
This Marshmallow Snowman and Peppermint Hot Chocolate allows for you to slowly put together a piece of edible art by placing your full concentration on it. The infusion of peppermint fills your senses. Peppermint has a calming effect and boosts your energy as well, so on a cold winter day when you are trapped inside, it can come to your rescue. This Marshmallow Snowman and Peppermint Hot Chocolate is an adorable idea to enjoy for yourself or even gift to another during these chilly days. Here is how.
3 large marshmallows
1 tbsp. peppermint extract
1 peppermint hard candy
1 Hershey’s Kiss (peppermint flavor optional)
½ cup mini chocolate chips
1 packet instant hot chocolate mix
1 cup milk
1 Masson jar
1 peppermint candy cane (optional)
- Build a snowman with marshmallows starting with the base, brush peppermint extract on top of the first marshmallow, moistening it enough to attache the second marshmallow to it. Brush the top of the second marshmallow with the peppermint extract and attache the third marshmallow. (alternatively, you can leave the third marshmallow off to avoid your snowman being too tall and tipping over.
- Making sure the layers of marshmallows are able to stand, brush the peppermint candy with peppermint extract and lay on top of the snowman head.
- Save two to three mini Chocolate chips and melt the rest and place in a piping back or plastic sandwich bag. Snip the tip of the bag and decorate the snowman face. Make snowman buttons with the chocolate or use the chocolate to attache the chips and buttons.
- Place a small dollop of chocolate on top of peppermint candy and place Hershey’s Kiss on top to complete snowman hat.
- Allow the snowman to set while preparing jar.
- Place hot chocolate mix in Masson jar and heat cup of milk.
- Place snowman in the Masson jar and pour hot milk into jar all around the snowman.
- Garnish with peppermint candy cane. (optional)
- Serve immediately.
If you want to make this into a gift for the neighbor, simply leave the milk out and place the Masson Jar lid on. Gift with a note that reads: "Pour 1 cup of hot milk and enjoy!"
Use the peppermint candy cane or a spoon to stir around the snowman and mix your hot cocoa.