It’s the first day of the 2018 World Cup. The 21st FIFA World Cup is taking place in Russia this year. This is the first ever World Cup to be held in Eastern Europe and it is expected to be the most expensive football championship in history. So, if you are visiting Russia, enjoy. If not, get into the spirit of things with some Beef Stroganoff while you watch the game!
Did you know that they serve Beef Strognoff at the Russian Tea Room in New York City? It is prepared with red wine braised beef short ribs that are served on thick noodles, tossed in a creamy mushroom and black truffle cream sauce.
I think my recipe is rich and comparable. Enjoy and Happy FIFA!
1 ½ pounds beef sirloin steak, 1/2 inch thick
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
¼ cup butter or margarine
1 ½ beef broth
½ cup whiskey or bourbon
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups sour cream
3 cups hot cooked egg noodles
- Cut beef across grain into about 1 1/2x1/2-inch strips.
- Season beef with salt and pepper generously.
- Cook beef in skillet until brown. Set aside.
- Cook mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender.
- Stir in 1 cup of the broth and whiskey, the salt and Worcestershire sauce. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Add Beef. Cover and simmer 20 – 30 minutes.
- Stir remaining 1/2 cup broth into flour; stir into beef mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in sour cream; heat until hot (do not boil).
- Serve over noodles